By Melany Love
There are ways to show support for certain issues without outright telling everyone we meet. People use red porch lights to bring awareness to women’s heart health and teal Halloween pumpkins to show awareness of children’s food allergies.
Doing this is a great way to spark conversations about issues that deserve the spotlight without seeming in-your-face. That’s the case with green porch lights.
It started in 2013 with a campaign led by Walmart, called the “Greenlight a Vet Campaign.” This initiative worked to guarantee jobs for honorably discharged U.S. veterans after they returned home from service. In addition, Walmart also encouraged members of their communities to change their porch lights to green in order to show appreciation for veterans across the nation.
The campaign described the color green as symbolizing renewal and hope. With all of these positive ideas in mind, Walmart hoped to start a new conversation about U.S. veterans as valued members of every community.
So next time you’re out in the evening, look around. You may just see some neighbors lighting the night for veterans.
Porch Light Colors – What They Mean
Porch Color Light Meaning
- Blue Porch Light Meaning. Choosing a blue porch light can either mean autism awareness or honoring police officers
- Green Porch Light Meaning. Veterans Day is honored every November 11th by US residents
- Red Porch Light Meaning. … Halloween, while in February, St. Valentine’s Day
- Purple Porch Light Meaning. …represents Domestic Violence Awareness
- Blue and Green Porch Light Meaning… veteran recognition by valuing them as members of your community…
Source: If You See a Green Porch Light, This Is What It Means (msn.com)