A salute to those men and women who do so much to keep us healthy.
Nurses do one of the most important jobs in the world. There is a special day for us to celebrate them. International Nurses Day (IND) is on May 12 every year. Of course, this is the anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s birth. On IND, nurses take part in different events to highlight the importance of their work. They give ordinary people a chance to learn about the work they do. Many hospitals and clinics organize fund-raising events to highlight the work of nurses. IND was started in the USA in 1965. The International Council For Nurses decided it was important to have a special day to raise awareness of the important work of nurses. It is also a day for nurses to pat themselves on the back and be proud of doing such a valuable job.
Match the following phrases from the article.
1. one of the most important a. nurses
2 highlight the importance b. valuable job
3. give ordinary people c. jobs in the world
4. the important work of d. on the back
5. pat themselves e. of their work
6. be proud of doing such a f. a chance to learn
Spell the jumbled words (from the text) correctly.
1. one of the most tipantrmo jobs
2. the vreasnanryi of Florence Nightingale’s birth
3. ghhltighi the importance of their work
4. organize fund-raising nsvtee
5. pat evesmhetsl on the back
6. doing such a aueblval job
It’s easy to check your answers. Just return to the reading and check them out.
Thanks to ESL Holiday Lessons: English Lesson on International Nurses Day