1. The #1 Cause of Memory Loss
The #1 cause of memory loss is simply getting older. Some forgetfulness is normal and doesn’t indicate a serious problem.
“Forgetfulness can be a normal part of aging,” says the National Institute on Aging. “As people get older, changes occur in all parts of the body, including the brain. As a result, some people may notice that it takes longer to learn new things, they don’t remember information as well as they did, or they lose things like their glasses. These usually are signs of mild forgetfulness, not serious memory problems, like Alzheimer’s disease.”
2. Other Causes of Memory Loss
Memory loss can have many causes, including:
- Poor sleep
- A bad reaction to medication
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Head injury
- Not eating a healthy diet, leading to a deficiency in B12
- A condition called mild cognitive impairment
In many of these cases, a doctor can treat these conditions, resolving the memory loss.
Article by Michael Marti for ETNT.