Article and Photo by Cindy Gay, RDN, LD
There’s no denying my senior friends love to have fun, and after a noon water aerobics class, they’re ready to eat. A baggie of these mini muffins might do the trick and bring a smile. They are 100-percent whole-wheat, have half as much sugar as the original recipe, with extra-virgin olive oil as the fat. Here’s how I made them:
Apple Carrot Mini Muffins
Makes 72 mini muffins
- 2½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1½ cups wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup shredded carrots (3 medium carrots)
- 4 cups shredded apples (4 medium apples)
- 1 cup olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flour, wheat germ, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt). Set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat eggs until starting to froth. Add sugar and honey and beat slightly.
- Add carrots, apples and oil to mixing bowl and beat slightly.
- Add dry ingredients to mixer, mixing only until combined.
- Drop by 1 tablespoon scoops into mini muffin pan sprayed with olive oil. Bake at 375°F for 12 to 14 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and finish cooling on wire rack.